As we continue to go through the daily struggle of either staying inside or even going outside to do simple things as chores, COVID-19 becomes and will remain a constant thought. We constantly hear about it, whether it be from the news or people around. But with all this talk going around, it makes people paranoid, it makes us scared. Let’s change that! If we gain basic knowledge and know the facts, then it will be easier to protect yourselves and others.
What is Coronavirus?
Coronavirus or COVID-19 dates back to December of 2019, but did not reach the US until the end of February, beginning of March.
It is a family of viruses affecting the Respiratory Tract. The main part of the body that regulates our breathing. It can be transmitted from human to human but mainly spreads through respiratory droplets. That means through sneezing, coughing, or even talking!
How do you know if you or someone you know has Coronavirus?
People respond to the virus differently. Some may show the main symptoms while others may never show. The main symptoms would be Fever, Shortness of Breath, or Cough. Those that do not show symptoms but were tested positive should isolate themselves in their homes for at least 2 weeks; self-quarantine.
1) Washing hands with Water & Soap for at least 20 seconds. Or Sanitize if you cannot wash your hands.
2) Avoid contact with Sick People, not because they are infected but because they are more prone to the virus than you.
3) Avoid touching the eyes, nose, & mouth with unwashed hands.
4) Avoid areas of large crowds & traveling far distances.
5) Maintain a 6 feet distance between yourself & others.
If Tested Positive but with No Symptoms
1) Stay at home!
2) Avoid contact with others
3) Wear a Mask!
4) Keep areas & Surfaces clean.
If Tested Positive & Start showing Symptoms
1) Definitely wear a mask!
2) Go seek Medical Care Immediately
Testing Areas if you think you or someone you know may have been exposed:
Testing is a critical part in this global emergency and without testing, it would be nearly impossible to trace and track COVID-19 exposure. Testing Centers will require an appointment and possible Physician referral in order to be tested due to limited testing kits. Please call ahead of time to confirm at the location. Some local testing areas include but do not are not limited to:
1) New Orleans East Hospital: 5620 Read Blvd (504)-592-6600
2) Crescent Care Medical Clinic: 1631 Elysian Fields Ave (504)-821-2601
3) CVS: 1600 Elysian Fields Ave (504)-949-2100